Thanks to all who participated in our most recent round of submissions. We’ve so enjoyed exploring the talents and hard work of poets in Western Massachusetts. After eleven beautiful, accomplished books (our last in this series will be Mary A. Koncel’s The Last Blonde to be published in the fall of 2017,) we are taking a hiatus; no submission period is currently on the horizon. Unfortunately, we do not accept unsolicited manuscripts outside of our open reading period. If we re-open the window, we will post it here and on Facebook and will look forward to hearing from you then.
Poets who have full-length manuscripts (48-64 pages of poetry,) and who meet the eligibility outlined below, are invited to submit samples of their work during our next open reading period.
- Entrants must live or work in one of the four counties of Western Massachusetts: Hampshire, Hampden, Franklin or Berkshire.
- Translations, previously published books, and self-published books are not eligible.
- Individual poems in the manuscript may have been published previously in journals, anthologies, or chapbooks of less than 30 pages (or which contains less than 30% of the current manuscript).
- Previous publication will not be a criterion for selection.
- Only online submissions will be accepted.
- During the open reading period, a diverse group of readers from a national pool consisting of published poets and MFA and college faculty will consider anonymous manuscripts and select finalists, from which Hedgerow Books, along with other invited readers, may chose a book or books to be published.
- There is no submission fee, and all submissions that adhere to the guidelines will be considered, but only one submission per person, please.
- Please note, this is not a contest. Every effort will be made among many generous volunteers to select manuscripts that best fit Hedgerow Books.
How to Submit
- Submissions must be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Poetry Submission: YOUR NAME”
- Submissions must consist of two separate attachments (word doc or RTF only) to facilitate the blind reading process.
- Poet Info Attachment – use your name as the filename of this document. Include your name, postal address, email address and title of your full manuscript, as well as a brief biography.
- Manuscript Attachment – use your ms. title as the filename of this doc. Include a title page / manuscript title (no name), table of contents with paginated poems.
- The title of your manuscript should appear as a header on each page. Nowhere on the Manuscript Attachment should your name appear.
We cannot wait to read your work!